Daily Archives: December 23, 2017

Chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding: Azerbaijan makes outstanding contribution to interfaith and intercultural dialogue

Baku, December 23, AZERTAC

“Azerbaijan makes a big contribution to interreligious and intercultural dialogue,” said Chairman of the US-based Foundation for Ethnic Understanding Rabbi Marc Schneier, who attended “2017-Year of Islamic Solidarity: Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue” international conference in Baku.

Schneier commended President Ilham Aliyev for his outstanding support to Islamic solidarity. He said declaring 2017 as Year of Islamic Solidarity in Azerbaijan was of great importance.

Schneier stressed the significance of the Baku conference in terms of bringing nations and religions together and widening international cooperation.

AZERTAG.AZ :Chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding: Azerbaijan makes outstanding contribution to interfaith and intercultural dialogue

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.

Malcolm Hoenlein: President Ilham Aliyev`s initiative on Islamic solidarity is example to other leaders

Baku, December 23, AZERTAC

“President Ilham Aliyev`s initiative on Islamic solidarity is an example to leaders of other countries,” CEO of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations Malcolm Hoenlein has told AZERTAC.

“By declaring 2017 as a Year of Islamic Solidarity in Azerbaijan, President Ilham Aliyev sent an important message to the Muslim and European countries and the whole world,” he noted.

Hoenlein hailed what the Azerbaijani government has done to ensure peaceful coexistence of representatives of different nations, religions, including the Jewish community.

AZERTAG.AZ :Malcolm Hoenlein: President Ilham Aliyev`s initiative on Islamic solidarity is example to other leaders

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.

TAP pipeline on course for first gas to Italy in early 2020

Baku, December 23, AZERTAC

The Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP) taking gas from Azerbaijan to Europe will pump the first gas into Italy at the start of 2020 despite local protests against the 4.5 billion euro ($5.3 billion) project, the TAP president told Reuters.

“We are on track to deliver the gas in the first quarter of 2020,” Walter Peeraer said in an interview.

TAP, the end piece of the $40 billion Southern Gas Corridor, is slated to bring up to 10 billion cubic metres of gas from the giant Azerbaijani Shah Deniz II field into the small Italian seaside town of San Foca in the southern Apulia region by 2020.

The 870-km pipeline will link the Shah Deniz II field with Italy, crossing Georgia, Turkey, Greece, Albania and the Adriatic Sea. It is the largest attempt so far to bring new supply sources to European consumers.

TAP shareholders include Azerbaijan energy group Socar, oil major BP and Italian gas group Snam.

Peeraer said capacity on the TAP pipeline would be expanded when enough customers expressed interest but added there had been no discussions yet.

“It is therefore premature to discuss if Gazprom might take capacity,” he said.

Earlier this year Gazprom’s deputy head Alexander Medvedev said the company was considering pumping gas through the link.

Peeraer said talks with the European Investment Bank on funding for TAP were ongoing, adding he expected a decision in February.

Reports have said the EIB could sign off on a loan of 1.5 billion euros for TAP developers at its board’s meeting in February next year.

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.

At least 75 killed, 58 missing in tropical storm in Philippines

Baku, December 23, AZERTAC

At least 75 people were reported dead and scores others are missing from the onslaught of tropical storm Tembin in southern Philippines, a government official said on Saturday, Xinhua reports.

Romina Marasigan, spokesman of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), said that she had got unconfirmed reports of 75 people dead and 58 missing after Tembin hit Mindanao in southern Philippines.

“These reports were received from regional offices, these are consolidated reports but these are subject to validation and verification by the national NDRRMC,” Marasigan said, adding that the dead and missing are mostly from Lanao del Norte, Lanao del Sur and Zamboanga, largely due to landslides and flashfloods.

In the two provinces of Lanao, at least 22 bodies have been pulled out while over 40 are still missing as landslides buried houses along a national road, said Mujiv Hataman, governor for the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao.

© Content from this site must be hyperlinked when used.