admin April 28, 2016

Azerbaijani officials said on April 28 that one civilian was killed and 8 were injured by an artillery strike from the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh overnight.

The statement came hours after Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry claimed that forces in Nagorno-Karabakh had shelled Azerbaijan’s Terter and Agdam districts in violation of a cease-fire deal that went into effect on April 5.

De facto officials from the breakaway territory rejected Azerbaijan’s claims and accused Baku of using tanks, mortars, flame throwers, and multiple-launch rocket systems for military attacks against the region.

Separatist leaders in Stepanakert said earlier this week that three of their soldiers were killed by Azerbaijani attacks.

Earlier this month, Nagorno-Karabakh saw its worst violence since a 1994 cease-fire effectively froze the conflict there between Azerbaijan and the Armenian-backed separatists.

Copyright (c) 2015. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Ste 400, Washington DC 20036.=